Thursday, October 21, 2010

making mistakes


     I could see a real difference in Billy’s demeanor after he was so successful today.  I think it’s something important to build into lessons – opportunities to be successful.  Now, I’m not for setting up situations in which students are never wrong.  It’s definitely important to mess up and learn from it, especially in O&M where errors can have real consequences; they can even be dangerous.  I’m not so sure about this “errorless learning” we’ve been working with in other classes where you dive in and give the right answer so the student doesn't hear/see the wrong answer.  Mistakes are important, especially when they are corrected and explained by a teacher.  I had a professor at Mercer who always taught us to finish a lesson on a success.  It seems pretty obvious, but I’ve found it to be helpful.  If you can ensure finishing up with success, then the struggle to grasp in the middle doesn’t have quite the sting that it might otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment