Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Last Tuesday


I’d sure love to have been inside Billy’s head during this last lesson.  On the surface, Billy seems so impassive, but I could tell he must be getting frustrated after a while.  While Billy traveled, I really saw the power of having an arc that was too wide.  As Billy over-swung the cane, it caused his shoulder to extend too far, and then his body turned.  It was crazy to see how a simple change in technique could cause him to lose his orientation. 

When I traveled on Thursday, I felt pretty good heading north on MLK toward Call, and the intersection of Park and MLK wasn’t so bad.  It was nice to have long stretches so that I could practice getting in step.  I did make lots of mistakes, but I had the chance to regroup and move forward, not getting caught up on the mistake.  Sometimes, when you make a mistake, and then you make another, you get really flustered, because they build on each other.  But, if you get the chance to regroup between the mistakes, they don’t build on one another quite so badly.

I’ve never seen the intersection of Call and MLK, and all the traffic noise was really intimidating when I stood at the corner.  I could hear the traffic rushing by, and I wasn’t really a fan of crossing the street.  I was glad to hear that you wouldn’t really teach a student to cross it, because I would be so nervous letting a student cross this road.

When I was walking along those stretches of sidewalk, I felt a bit isolated.  I suppose because I was doing pretty well, there wasn’t much to talk about.  Still, the talking and interaction with the teacher acts as security for me.  Without it, I feel a bit more exposed, and I was already a bit uneasy in the area because I’d never traveled or seen it before.  So, when I’m traveling, I want to be a bit distracted, but I bet lots of kids wouldn’t.  I can imagine that some students would be totally overwhelmed with any talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment