Monday, February 21, 2011

New Territory

Teaching still doesn’t feel very natural, but I think it’s coming along.  I still worry about keeping Lauren safe without interfering with her learning.  I’m obviously still working on striking a balance.  It makes sense to me to let her keep walking in the road until she’s not safe, and the longer she’s in the road, the longer she has to learn, but I have a hard time letting it happen.  I get SOOO nervous when Lauren’s in the road, especially the last few times when she was in Duval.  I feel like she’s playing chicken with the cars and doesn’t even know it, and it’s up to me to tell her when she’s unsafe.  It makes me really uncomfortable because I want her to learn, but I get a little too paranoid.

Traveling under blindfold was really interesting because I’d never seen most of the route I took.  Lauren did a good job helping me figure out the few things that threw me, and I think she gave me a good amount of time to figure out everything else myself. 

I never did understand the area around the post office.  I’d like to go over the area again next time because I didn’t understand where the traffic was and how I used it to get everything straight.  I think I just got lucky.  I was suddenly very overwhelmed with the traffic noise and the sounds from the truck, so even though Lauren was asking the right questions, I didn’t really understood the conclusions she was leading me to.

I have concluded, though, that I really don’t like to walk down hill in a new area.  It makes me feel really uneasy.  I think it’s partly because I’m getting all the signals that I’m about to fall.  That’s one of those things that I would never have thought about making a student uncertain until I did it and felt it myself.  So, there’s definitely something to our being a little uncomfortable to better understand what it’s like to travel without vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment