Good news! Neither drinking the questionable water nor eating the grilled cheese sandwiches prepared by children who did not wash their hands before starting made us sick. Win for us!
Today's been nice and relaxing. We spent the morning watching Mickey teach O&M to his friend's teenaged sister. He taught her to cross the streets and walk in line with traffic. She's got some really nice skills. We stopped for ice cream, and on the way back, I took a stab at teaching. I talked too much at first, as is my habit. I just have a hard time drawing the line between giving too much information and not enough. By the end, I think I struck a balance. Still, it's hard having someone there watching you, even when that person is Mickey. Just a side note here: along our route, they were doing some sewer work, and for a whole block, the sewer was open, and the workers were shoveling out very dark matter into the street. More water ran from the piles down the street. I'm trying really hard not to place value judgments on the different experiences here, but that was pretty nasty.
Here's some more information supporting the case that the auto drivers like to take advantage of Americans. On the ride home, Mickey and I paid 100 rupees as a flat rate, and Lauren and Melissa paid 60 on the meter. Eh, well, it's just 80 cents. It doesn't make much difference to us, but I bet it does make a difference to his family.
This day's dinner report isn't terribly encouraging to my mother, but I'm good with it. Breakfast today was bread cooked in eggs. I didn't eat any – again, because I like to sleep more than I like to eat. Still, it looked palatable, so I'm thinking I could swing it in the future. We really worked through lunch, but I did snag some dry cereal before we left. We had tea earlier in the day, and that's my favorite thing about India. They serve tea with milk and sugar already mixed in. It's always perfectly wonderful tasting; it is served VERY hot, and it takes a lot of patience to wait for it to cool. I love tea time. When I made that comment earlier, I was told “Anytime is tea time in India.” So there you go; that fits well with the generous nature of the Indians we've met so far. So, now, we're back at the hotel, and we just finished pigging out on junk like Milk-Ma Vanilla Dew Cookies, Nutella, Mango Mischief Cookies, and Lay's American Style Cream and Onion Chips. That's right, cream and onion – no sour. Lauren and I are going to nap soon, and afterward, find some dinner and then get some school work done.
This is the only picture I took today. It was in front of a store that sells window treatments, including blinds. I think it's the best thing I've seen to describe our experiences here.
Later, y'all!

Susan, I absolutely love experiencing India through your eyes. Thank you for sharing and allowing me to read along. Oh, and that sign is priceless!!
ReplyDelete